Monday, August 16, 2010

The Triumph of Man (as presented at the New York World’s Fair, 1964-1965, by The Travelers Insurance Companies (1964) (7”)



This was a record I just spotted at some shop (can’t remember which), and immediately had to get it. The 1964 NY World’s Fair is fairly legendary. I’ve been meaning to visit the site in for years now, where some of the crazy monuments still remain, but just haven’t gotten around to it.


Anyhow, Travelers Insurance (which also has a connection for me, as I’m originally from Connecticut) put this little 33rpm 7” out as a home version of their exhibit, I suppose. It’s amazing enough that their portion of the Fair was called ‘The Triumph of Man’, but I like it even better taking the record as an object unto itself – this little red umbrella and the words ‘The Triumph of Man’ – beautiful. It’s also just a great, odd center label. I should digitize the audio and put it online somewhere. Alexander, when’re you gonna do a followup blog of weird, found 7”es?

1 comment:

  1. Mark this is one of my favorite labels that has gone up on the blog. Nice! Maybe next year I'll do a spinoff blog for found 7-inches. I could call it "Round n' Found."

    ReplyDelete