Monday, August 23, 2010

Destiny Records (1972)



Though Mark Toscano is a tough act to follow, I'm excited to be contributing to Alexander's excellent blog.

My initial post is one that fills me with feelings of tenderness and sunshine. It was difficult for me to pick between this Bobby Brown record and "Prayers of a One Man Band." That center label essentially recapitulates the cover art, which is not a particularly creative center label trope, but Brown is such a charming character- on the beach with his golden pageboy, surrounded by his amazing "world music" contraption- that it almost won out.

This label's cosmic line drawing ended up as my pick, however. I think it serves as a lovely visual companion to the ouroboros-like song cycle of birth, awakening, death, and rebirth contained in the grooves.

No comments:

Post a Comment