Saturday, November 13, 2010
Steeleye Span - Please To See the King (1971)
Weird-o artsy pre-Jethro Tull electric folk rock from St. Albans, Hertfordshire. Some of these songs were written and collected as early as 913 A.D...
"The priory of St. Mary of Bethlehem at Bishopsgate founded in 1247 became the male lunatic asylum known as Bethlem Hospital or Bedlam in 1547. In 1815 it was moved to Lambeth in the buildings now housing the Imperial War Museum and in 1931 was moved to Beckenham in Kent. The hospital of St. Mary Magdalen (Maudlin) was its female counterpart. During the 16th and 17th centuries the man in the moon was depicted as a bent old man with a staff leading a dog, carrying a thorn bush and a lantern."