Friday, November 12, 2010

Frank Zappa - Shut Up'n Play Yer Guitar (1981)























When my good friend Jack Sloss moved back to Philadelphia, I inherited a massive box of Zappa vinyl. Actually, I still consider it to be his if he ever wants to retrieve it. In the meantime, I've been playing the crap out of them for the last six years or so. My favorite is this crazy three-record set that splices together in the most beautifully meandering and sprawling way many of Zappa's most exhaustive and legendary live guitar solos. Its really wonderful and out-of-control, feels like the bottom is going to fall out of everything at any moment, but still manages to be relentless and pointed. I think Barking Pumpkin Records was Zappa's own brand and I've always loved the logo.

Paul Nudd

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a great logo. Barking Pumpkin was FZ's label and although he wouldn't divulge what the cat is saying someone got it roughly translated as "HOLY SHIT," haha

    ReplyDelete