Wednesday, July 21, 2010

kaleidophone (1972)


Hm, should I say anything at all? Anything I have to say makes me sound like a loser. Sigh, OK. I used to like to buy records of African music, world music, folk music, etc. Not just because I like the music, but because they used to always be so cheap. I'm kind of a cheap bastard. Not just because I'm always broke, but... well, I'm not always good at taking care of nice stuff, so why have it at all? ...and once I have everything all cozy & set up, I'll end up moving to yet another city, and jettison half the stuff I own. So, why bother? OK... (oh, why am I saying this?) See kids, I used buy records like this because no one else wanted them, and they always cost less than $5. The last time I was in the record store, every single recording of old African music was kind of expensive. So were the Bollywood soundtracks, and the weird old asian pop records. That's what the kids like these days, eh? Good for them. Those records use to sit there for a dollar, because it seemed like nobody wanted them but me. I'm so cool. I was there first, so there. blah blah. I remember when. Oh, man. What am I doing here. Where am I?

3 comments:

  1. thats the first question I have when I wake up as well: "where's ron?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's sad to think of how many public libraries had amazing collections of these records that they sold off or chucked into the dumpster. Amazing to look at this label now that I actually know who Hugh Tracey is. Yes, you are so cool for sincerely loving this stuff, then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny. I was playing music w Luke & Sara yesterdy, and Sara said "Luke, where is the Hugh Tracey Kalimba?" I was like - AHA!
    Also - thanks for mentioning the library. I forgot to rant about the library in this string of posts. I really should have.
    MILES AND MILES OF RECORDS AT THE LIBRARY! NO MORE? WHY? WHY? WHY? SUCH GOOD RECORDS!

    ReplyDelete