Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ecstatic Peace! / Father Yod (1995)




I know the labels are wicked crooked. It is better this way, given we are dealing with Destroy All Monsters. I was going to have to represent for the home state (Michigan) eventually. So I decided the original music destroyers fronted by now LA-based artists Mike Kelley and Jim Shaw, with still Michiganders Cary Loren and Niagara, covering, in a matter of speaking, "Detroit: Rock City" live in Detroit was the logical choice.

(Warning: If you have never been to Cary's Book Beat in Oak Park, MI you have no idea what you are missing.)

Recorded at one of the sporadic Destroy All Monster reunions, this single always gets the evening off to a strange start. I love playing this for guests, and asking them to tell me if it sounds better played at 33 1/3 or 45. The voting is split pretty even to date--which isn't so surprising. My copy came in a screen-printed cardboard box, faux fur-lined on the inside, and accompanied by a random assortment of stickers, photos, paper scraps and misbegottens. No two copies are exactly the same. This is sometimes known as the "Monkey Fur Box," but I have to admit I don't know when those times are. Edition of 250.

Make yourself a Motor City Mule. Fire up the Hi-Fi. Put the feet up and let the bastardized tones curl your toes you Peanut Butter Motherfuckers!

By the way... I don't want to ignore the A-Side here. Lest you forget the immortal words popularized by Roberta Flack, here they are:

Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
Killing me softly with his song

I heard he sang a good song
I heard he had a style
And so I came to see him
And listen for a while
And there he was this young boy
A stranger to my eyes

I felt all flushed with fever
Embarrassed by the crowd
I felt he found my letters
And read each one out loud
I prayed that he would finish
But he just kept right on

He sang as if he knew me
In all my dark despair
And then he looked right through me
As if I wasn't there
And he just kept on singing
Singing clear and strong

No comments:

Post a Comment