Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Residents – Eskimo (1979)


I figured Ralph Records/Cryptic Corp. related bands would have interesting labels, so I poked around among the stuff I have (Residents, Fred Frith, Renaldo and the Loaf, etc.) and was surprised to discover that a lot of ‘em have the same two or three center labels. I think it’s mainly because the copies of the earlier albums that I have – which may have had more unique labels in their original releases – are slightly later reissues on Ralph, and have a more uniform label design.


Eskimo was the only one I turned up that had a particularly cool one, perhaps because it seems to be an original release, but I’m not positive about that. It basically reproduces the back cover artwork of this album (one of my favorites of theirs), but I love the font and the weird constellation-like design in the sky.


One anecdotal aside about this album is that maybe 10 years ago I was watching a video of the (then) recently restored Dreyer’s Passion of Joan of Arc at home, and it had this contemporary “Voices of Light” soundtrack accompanying it, which I REALLY disliked. It was bothering me so much that in frustration I for some reason put Eskimo on instead, and I liked it much better. (I’ve since had a chance to see the film theatrically, totally silent, and that’s pretty amazing.)



No comments:

Post a Comment