Monday, October 31, 2011

Planet Mu (2010)

Happy Halloween! I figured this would be a fun -- and appropriate -- label to make my return to blogland...

I can remember the moment this sick puppy arrived in the mail. I pulled it out of the box, flipped it over from the standard Planet Mu b-side and had one of those oh-snap-it-puts-the-lotion-on-its-skin-type moments when I saw this label. Scary clowns man. Kinda curious about the use of the picture. For me it doesn't really match up with what's happening sonically -- with a visual like this you're really expecting some balls-out (juggling balls, that is) electronic stompers. This is the second time I've written up an Ikonika label and she's pretty true to form here, albeit somewhat mellowed out. She comes with a chip-tune Caribbean stylee and piggly-squiggly bass line on "DCKHDBTCH," then heads for a sorta-kinda druggy bonus level of dungeon adventure on "Ingredients." "Shouldn't Be Here" is more four-to-the-floor, but definitely stays on the melancholy synthesizer side of life with a ghost of a vocal sample. Peep all the samples here.

As for the label itself, not to get too Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but I wonder what this clown-man-monster is looking at off label. His gaze is certainly fixed on something something. Is he readying an attack or is his hand up to ward off another plastic-masked crazy? I'm going to go with the idea that this is one hongry circus freak with stubble-mouth looking to take a bite out of that pointed pizza bianca coming his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment